Wednesday, December 16, 2009

jingle all the way - the "how to"

Thank you all so much for the kind words on my Jingle Bell shadow box I shared earlier for the Christmas Crafts party. Many of you asked if there was a tutorial for it. I actually did take a few pictures while making it, so you're in luck!

The "Jingle All the Way" phrase is a Decor Elements vinyl that came from Stampin' Up!

 **Updated to add on 8/9/12 - Unfortunately Stampin' Up! has discontinued this item and it is no longer available for purchase.  I am so sorry!

I have a few other samples I shared HERE on my stamping blog.

I found a square shadow box at Ikea for only $4.99 (size 6-1/2" x 6-1/2").

**Updated to add on 10/17/11 - Last I checked at Ikea...these frames were no longer available. So sad!! I'm on the hunt for a similar (and just as cheap) shadow box frame and will let you know if I find something!


**Updated to add on 11/10/11 - I did find a couple of shadow box options at Michaels. One was an 8" x 8" square with a little bit of a border around it (kind of like a roped edge) and the other was a rectangle...need to check on the measurements for that one.


You'll also want a variety of sizes of jingle bells. I prefer silver. I found these large tubes of two different sizes of jingle bells at Michael's (brand name: Celebrate It). At the time, they were 50% off, so I stocked up!! You'll also need the small size of jingle bells which come in smaller packages. I don't normally use very many of those, but adding a few gives it the right affect.


Start by applying your image to the front of the glass using a Decor Elements Applicator or something hard and thin (like a credit card or one of those Pampered Chef brown scrapers used for their stoneware). It's super easy to do these vinyls, especially when they're so small!


After opening up the back, place your jingle bells in the frame.


Cut your paper to size to fit in the back of the frame.


Tie a large bow around the frame. I used the Stampin' Up! 1 1/4" Old Olive striped grosgrain to match the color of the vinyl. Updated to add on 11/22/11: Unfortunately Stampin' Up! no longer carries Real Red 1-1/4" Striped Grosgrain ribbon (as seen in my other samples), but there are many other beautiful options.


Turn the frame over and shake the frame a little to spread out the bells. Then prop the frame up and adjust the bells to your liking.





35 comments:

Rhonda said...

Thanks Heidi! LOVE IT! Can I order that vinyl from you??? I really want to make one, I just think it is so adorable!

Katie said...

Thanks for the step by step. I relaly love this idea. It turned out so cute!

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I'm seeing making some of these in my future for presents next year. ;)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Oh my goodness, that is just so cute. I love it Heidi! Adorable!!!!

Can I post it for my Friday Favorites? Love it!

XOOX
Jen

Carol Kennon said...

Awesome! Love this idea.

Sarah said...

Oh yes I can! I have now come to accept and say out loud "I'll leave it there for a day or two and see what I think!" It has to feel just right.

Unknown said...

It looks great! And so easy to make! Thanks for sharing with us!!

~Becca

Kelli W said...

This is SUPER cute! I have avoided your Stampin' Up blog because I know I will want to buy everything I see...but I really love that vinyl! I may have to break down and buy some stuff:) Thanks for the tutorial!

mommy2luke2008 said...

Thanks so much for posting this!!! It is sooo cute!!

lsnellings said...

Oh my gosh! That is so cute! Where do you come up with this stuff?

Smith Family said...

Wow! This is sooo cute Heidi! I love it.

Russell Family said...

I really love this decoration!! It is so cute. Great Idea!!

Sarah Ondracek said...

Could you get any more creative? This is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

This is beautiful!! Thanks for the tutorial!!

Creative Craft Ideas said...

I cannot believe HOW cute this is. I love love love love it! I am excited to make a shadow box with bells in it! he he...

Anne

Wendy said...

This is a great idea! I love it!
I can also understand and relate to the craziness of changing things around! I seem to do it on a daily basis and annoy myself (and probably my family)
Thanks for sharing :)
Wendy

House Queen said...

Such a cute idea!

Natalie Meester said...

fantastic idea! I love the simplicity of the jingle bells.

Natalie

Dawn said...

Adorable!! What a cute idea! The first paper looked great but I love the second one you picked too!

I just saw this on a couple of different blogs-congrats!!

Jess said...

So so so cute! Such a fun and festive idea!

emily said...

what a cute idea! I have one of these rub ons and haven't come up with a good idea yet.Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm a year behind on this, but it's so cute! I'm including it in my Friday Favorites this week!

April Porter said...

Just curious to see about how amny bells you put in the boxes

Sheri said...

OMG, I love that.

Jen said...

This is adorable! Tried to find the shadow boxes at Ikea and they don't have them anymore! :( Great idea.

Ashley R said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea and I plan on making a WHOLE BUNCH this Christmas. Can I purchase the vinyl from you? Also, what size shadow box did you use? I am SO excited I can't wait to get this craft started!

Kim said...

Love this! What size shadow box?

Karli Coombs said...

I LOVE this and have already started mine and a bunch others! I'm just curious, do you know the dimensions of the vinyl that you purchased? I've gone to the link but it doesn't say anywhere on there. My shadow box is bigger than yours, so I need to see if this vinyl would work, or if I need to find someone to make them bigger for me!

Heidi Boos said...

Kim, I am not sure if you got your question answered, but the size of shadow box I used is 6-1/2" x 6-1/2".

Karli, I'm not sure if you will check the comments to find this reply, but I didn't have any other way to get a hold of you. The small Jingle All the Way vinyl I purchased was 3" x 3-5/8". I hope this helps with your decision making!! Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving a comment!

Eveline said...

I found this on Pinterest and I love it.
Eveline.

Lee Ann said...

Ijust found this Pinterest, and it is so cute! How do you do the vinyl letters? I've never seen such a thing.

Unknown said...

hi there - Holy smokes, I love this!! Do you know at this time where to get some frames like this?? I have checked, Ikea, Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Dollar stores and find nothing. I'm hoping you have a place I don't know about.
thanx a bunch....Wendy

Anonymous said...

I Love this! can you buy the vinyl paper somewhere other than Stampin Up?

Anonymous said...

Simply Said has some great vinyls. Check out my friend's site...www.mysimplysaiddesigns.com/1461

Sara said...

What size are the smallest jingle bells? Love this idea!

 
blog template by yummylolly.com