Friday, January 30, 2009

something was missing

I usually don't decorate much for Valentine's Day, but this year I had the itch to do a few things that might bring some different color into my decor, even if it's just for a short while. I like pink and red...just not too much pink. We have red couches, so many of my candles and a few wall decor pieces have some splashes of red already. I plan on showing you some of the little touches I've made, but first I want to show you my little transformation that I am quite proud of. Because, you see, I don't usually have "the eye" for being able to transform things like some awesome crafty bloggers I have read (yes, Carrie from Buzzings of a Queen Bee, I'm talking about you!), but I thought I would give it a go!

I found this cute little wreath at Marshalls during their after Christmas clearance sale at the end of December. It was marked down to $10 and then I got another 50% off of that, so I picked this little baby up for $5. I was originally going to use it for all-year decor, but I couldn't quite figure out what was missing, or quite find the perfect spot for it in my home.


At the beginning of the week, I took it to Michaels Crafts with me to see if I could find some ribbon that I could add to it, but then this caught my eye, and for only $2.99, I snagged it. It looked a little shabby on its own (and sorry for the darker picture), so I began to wonder what I could do with both of these finds if I put them together.


After I got home (maybe a few days later), I took out my thin-gauged wire, wire cutters, and hot glue gun, and went to work like MacGyver.

And this is what I came up with....


Nothing too fancy, but I think it turned out pretty cute. I like simple. And I like cute. This Valentine's wreath will now welcome our guests during the month of February. And one of the best parts about it was that it only cost $8 to make, and I had some fun in the process. Any chance I get to use some creativity, I'm all over it!

9 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Thought I'd return the favor. Your wreath is pretty!

Missy said...

That's a great transformation! Really cute.

I also wanted to let you know I passed along the Lemonade Award to you. Stop by my blog to claim your award. Have a good day.

Heidi @ GGIP said...

That was a great idea! It turned out fabulous!

KCShipe said...

Hey thanks for visiting my blog! Love the wreath - so cute :)

Kristie said...

Cute. When can you come decorate my house =)

Tammy Williams said...

I only decorate for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Perhaps I should jump on the band-wagon though. By the time I THINK about decorating, the holiday is usually over. It's time to get my butt in gear. Thanks for reminding me that Valentine's Day is coming soon.

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

The wreath turned out great and it doesn't look too frilly!

vicki said...

That looks great.....and I got to see it in person!
Love,
Mom

vicki said...

That looks great.....and I got to see it in person!
Love,
Mom

 
blog template by yummylolly.com