Monday, August 17, 2009

a special gift for grandpa

Yesterday was my father-in-law's birthday, so we headed to my in-laws' home who live 45 minutes away for a birthday dinner and family time.

A couple of years ago, we had decided that for our parents' birthdays we wouldn't get them any "costly" gifts, but instead try do something special and creative from the grandkids. This gives us the opportunity to be more thoughtful about the gift we give instead of just ending up buying a gift card (which is what always seemed to happen!)

This year Grandpa Charlie got a pair of handprints (1 Mikayla, 1 Austin) with a handprint poem on the right side that I found here.


He also got a little candy gram from the kiddos.



After a KFC dinner, some play time with the grandkids,



and some good old fashioned blueberry picking in the back yard, we headed to the park to feed the ducks! Something the kids really enjoyed the last time they stayed the weekend with their grandparents.


Austin loved throwing the cracked corn AT the ducks instead of TO the ducks. What a boy!

Such a fun way to spend a beautiful summer evening!
Happy Birthday, Grandpa Charlie!!

12 comments:

lsnellings said...

What a great birthday for your FIL!

Dawn said...

What a great idea for a present! Looks like your father in law had a great birthday!

Glad you are having a good, busy summer. Hope today wasn't too tough with daddy going back to work. My kids never like that.

Kelli W said...

I love that Austin is throwing the corn at the ducks...that is probably exactly what my boys would be doing too!

Moore Minutes said...

lovely presents! That candygram is such a GREAT idea! I had to click on this post because we just celebrated a birthday with MY grandpa too that I posted about.

Your kids are too cute and it looks like everyone had a super enjoyable time together.

Kelli said...

What thoughtful gifts. I love the candy gram, so creative. Mmm...blueberries. Sounds like a fun evening.

Missy said...

Very cute. A great gift! We made a frame like that for Father's day with a poem and it turned out great. Very personal.

Unknown said...

What a great birthday gift idea. I might have to steal that one!

Jennifer W. said...

What sweet gifts! No pun intended :)
Jen

Emily said...

Looks like y'all helped give your FIL a fun birthday! Cute gift ideas!

Tammy Williams said...

That little gift for grandpa is so precious! You are so creative Miss Heidi!

Nana said...

I'm so glad you found a poem for Grandpa to include in his handprint card. I love the candy gram and your blog.

Sarah Ondracek said...

I used to LOVE feeding the ducks when I was little. Memories!!! And love the card you guys made, he'll keep that forever:)

 
blog template by yummylolly.com