Wednesday, August 19, 2009

get organized...camping style

A couple weeks ago, our little family of four went camping at the Oregon Coast (a mere 2 hours from where we live!). This was our first camping trip since Austin was born. He'll be 2 years old in September. Obviously, we don't go camping much. Which means TENTS. A thin piece of plastic between us and the rest of the campground. I knew our neighbors were going to love us! We decided to split up and Austin and Ryan were in the large tent and Mikayla and I were in the {teeny tiny} small tent. We figured this way the kids wouldn't wake each other up. The bad thing was I got stuck with the early riser who wanted to be up and riding her bike at 7:00 in the morning! I love that girl.

Onto my point...

I haven't participated in Works for Me Wednesday in quite some time, and I couldn't help but share this little tip that helped shred hours of packing for our camping trip. Since we don't have a trailer, we depend on Rubbermaid tubs to hold our camping gear. We have two large tubs that stay on the shelves in the garage for 361 days out of the year. So, after brushing off the dust, we opened up the tub and lo and behold there was a typed out list right on top of everything that was inside the tub...including a small list of things we needed. Hello, organization! It's so good to see you! I was so thankful that I had taken the time 2 summers ago to do this. I didn't have to take the extra time during the chaos of packing to dig through the tubs to see what we had or needed.

tub #1 holds misc. camping supplies
tub #2 holds camping cookware

And, while I'm chatting about organization, I thought I'd share my handy little organizers I use for camping. You know those plastic bags that infant onesies, curtains, sheets, etc. come in? Save them! They make great little organization tools for lots of things. (I even made a ribbon holder out of one.) These two tubs are filled with these plastic thing-a-ma-jigs.


You better believe that I took the time to take inventory again after we got home from camping (even if it took a week to get to it). So, everything's ready to go for camping in 2011! *wink*

**FYI: I learned these storage tips from my mom when we would go camping when we were younger. She had the exact same organization method: tubs and plastic thing-a-ma-jigs. Thanks, mom, for passing along your wisdom and knowledge for camping organization (and a whole lot of other things, too!)

Check out We Are That Family for more Works for Me Wednesday.

12 comments:

Dawn said...

Great idea!! I always thought the worst part of camping was always going through the storage bin to see what was inside of it. You are so organized!!

Annie said...

What a great idea. We are just beginning to camp as a family, and I will definitely be using this idea!

Kelli W said...

You are SO organized!! I need to be better at stuff like that...I bet it makes life a lot easier in the end! What a great idea to put a list of everything in the container! I am SUPER impressed with your mad organization skills!

vicki said...

Thanks for giving me some credit on camping organization. :) It does help when you get everything ready to go camping. It has been about 4 years since I have been camping....when we went camping at Detroit Lake. It would be fun to go again....now we will have lots of little ones too! That is when organization really helps!
Love,
Mom

He & Me + 3 said...

What great ideas. Girl you are so organized. I love it! I totally keep those bags from comforters and sheets, etc. I love to use them for storage. Great Works for me Wednesday!

Jennifer W. said...

OMGosh. I wish I had just a fraction of your organization skill, girl! Thank you for sharing so the rest of us can feel inadequate...ahem...I mean feel motivated to put your tips to good use!! LOL.
Jen

Moore Minutes said...

We keep our camping gear in rubbermaids too. I would LOVE to camp on the Oregon coast! How beautiful. You are SUPER organized. We are camping next weekend and I am going to copy you and get everything all nice, lol...thanks!

Smith Family said...

Wow! Now that's impressive!

Kelli said...

I've always wondered if there was a good reason to keep those things and now I know. Great organization and don't you just love when you're organized and you didn't even know it. What a wonderful surprise.

Sarah Ondracek said...

I really like your ideas on how to getorganized for camping. I have a TON of those bags and rarely use them so now some of them can have purpose!!! Thanks for the tips:)

Anonymous said...

Hi. I have a blog at www.picturecamping.com where I feature people's posts about camping, and I would like to send my readers your way. Of course I would give you credit for quotes and would link back to your site.

Thanks for considering this,

Jean B. in SC

Rhonda said...

Hey girl! I thought I was pretty organized! Ha! LOVE IT! I am so going to do this. The worst part of camping for me is going through the shed getting this or that gathered up to go! I am going to do this and put all camping in one area! Simplify! Maybe we would go more often if I did! I love the list! I would be so happy opening the lid to that container! Do you put a list in all containers of the contents?

 
blog template by yummylolly.com