Wednesday, February 11, 2009

let's wrap it up!


I love giving gifts!! I love wrapping gifts and making them extra special is something I enjoy doing. It's a weakness of mine when I see wrapping paper, baggies, ribbons, bows, tissue paper, gift bags, etc. on clearance or on sale because I always think that one day I will use this, so I usually buy it, which means I usually need even more room for these little goodies I've found (it's a never ending cycle isn't it?) I will say I have gotten better at really stopping and thinking about whether or not this is a good purchase that I will actually use. Really, I'm working on "my problem".

I'm a gift giving person...I always have been. I'm also an old-fashioned thank you note gal. I would love to be able to instill these little tidbits of who I am onto my children. However, I do want to be sure they understand that you don't have to give a gift for someone to like you in return, and you don't have to spend a lot of money to do it. It's the thought and the genuineness of the gift giving that I would like to pass along, so they will know how it makes them feel to see someone smile!

But, to be honest, part of the reason that I love giving gifts is because I get to wrap them! And, that's why I wanted to share something that works for me. Over the years as we have filled up every last inch of our home (lately I have felt like we are bulging at the seams...does that mean move or have a garage sale?), I've been needing to get a little more creative on where I can store things.

When we were getting our son's room ready for him about 2 years ago, I knew I was going to have to find ways to put all of my "stuff" that had been filling our extra room somewhere else. I decided that we could probably squeeze a few more things into our "walk-in" (kind of) closet, and so we put a bookshelf in there and I claimed it as my gift wrapping storage area.

Of course, if you're familiar with my personality or you have read through my blog before, you know how I love to be organized (and that I love my label maker, too), so these next few pictures shouldn't surprise you too much.


these little storage drawers are perfect for the small things...
everything is so easy to find!

i love these nesting boxes! this was probably the best gift I have ever been given (well, not really, but I did LOVE it a lot!)
I loved them so much that the next time I saw them at Costco,
I picked up another set of them...I use them everywhere!

this great little storage goodie holds all of my gift bags
and it hangs right on the closet rod


Keeping order in a house that seems like it's always being taken over by toys, papers, and stacks of odds and ends is a challenge. But I *try* to stay sane by keeping organized spaces in our home. I have a place for everything and everything has its place.

I love my little gift wrapping center...it's nothing big, nothing special, but it definitely works for me!

To see other tips and tricks head on over to Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer.

12 comments:

lsnellings said...

I have all of my gift wrap in a long skinny box under my daughter's bed. Her was the only one it would fit under! I love tying pretty bows on packages! It makes them seem fancy even if what's inside isn't!

Amanda said...

What a great post! I feel exactly the same way about "dressing" my packages and gifts. There is so much in the presentation of a gift. I like how you have everything so neatly organized!
:-)

Kristin said...

I'm a gift wrapaholic, too! As a matter of fact, I was thinking about blogging on "gift presentation" sometime soon! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow that is super organized now! I always wish I could wrap presents and make them look all pretty. Unfortunately they end up looking like I let my 7 year old wrap them. LOL.

Katie said...

I really like the plastic container you are storing your gift bags in. I have mine thrown rather mish-mashed into a large tote. If I had these bins I could sort them by occassion. Do you remember where you got them?
Great Organizing!

Sandy said...

I love to wrap gifts too!

I have an award for you on my blog!
http://just4funwithsandy.blogspot.com/2009/02/im-blushing.html

Rosemary said...

Wrapping a gift in a beautiful or special way honors the person receiving the gift, I think. And so it's good.

Amy said...

Great organization! I need to find a new system to organize my gift wrapping supplies. That basket that hangs over the closet rod is really neat.

My WFMW tip today is actually something I published on Saturday-- how to make homemade hand lotion.

Lyndsie Miles said...

I try to be organized, but you are amazing! I think I want a label maker for Valentine's!

Tammy Williams said...

You are seriously inspiring me to stay organized now. Don't feel bad for taking a piece of your walk-in closet for storage. When we moved in, I made Jeremy add an outlet to our closet so that we could put our computer/desk in here. So it is now our office/closet. Not extremely convenient but it keeps the PC away from the kids:) They are just too curious about wires and chords for us to have it out in the open somewhere.
PS. I love wrapping too!

Heidi @ Tayterjaq's Rebels said...

My email address is:
tayterjaq4@aol.com.

When you have a chance email me your snail mail address and I will get something out to you shortly.

Thanks for playing along!

Kelli said...

I looked at your organization posts and they are great. I need some good tips right now.

 
blog template by yummylolly.com