Friday, July 31, 2009

cooking with kayla, part two

This weekend I'm heading out of a town with a group of women that are a part of our local MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) leadership team. Each of us will be bringing a snack (in addition to buddying up and bringing a meal) and I thought that the Chex recipe "Muddy Buddies" would be a yummy late night treat!

I was actually in a relaxed mood today despite my always growing "to do list", so I thought I might as well let Mikayla help out in the kitchen. She's a whizz at baking and it's a fun way to spend a little one on one time together, but still get some stuff done in the process.

Together, we read the ingredient list and I had Mikayla search for all of the ingredients with a few helpful hints from her momma, of course. (Ladies, going to the retreat...stop right here if you don't want to know everything that goes into this delightful treat. And, I will say that it is addicting, so don't say I didn't warn you.)

----------------------------------------------
MUDDY BUDDIES
COOKING WITH KAYLA

your choice of Chex cereal, chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, & powdered sugar

Measure 9 cups of cereal. I let Mikayla tell me when to stop once I reached the line I had pointed out to her. We ended up doing 5 cups Corn Chex and 4 cups Chocolate Chex.

Measure out 1 cup chocolate chips. I filled a small bowl of chocolate chips and let her scoop them into the 1-cup measuring cup.

Add 1/2 cup peanut butter and 1/4 cup butter to the chocolate chips. Even letting kids do simple tasks like peeling the paper from the butter teaches them the art of cooking. We talked about how slimy it felt (and then she proceeded to wipe it off on herself...good thing she was wearing an apron!)

Microwave for 1 minute and then stir until smooth. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.


Pour Chex cereal into a large bowl.

Pour chocolate mixture over cereal and stir until covered.


Place chocolate covered cereal into gallon-sized Ziploc bag, add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and shake, shake, shake. She loved this part!

During this cooking adventure, don't forget to give your (almost) 2-year old a little snack...

...and some measuring spoons and cups to keep him distracted, I mean entertained.

Place finished yummy goodness on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet to cool and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator (the freezer is even better!)

As it was cooling on the counter, Mikayla kept asking me, "Just one more, Mommy. One more." And how many times do you think I heard that?

*FYI: You might notice Mikayla has a black eye in these pictures. She had a little run in with someone else's head last Sunday, so it's her first official black eye. She looks kind of tough, don't you think?


PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek


21 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this stuff! Good recipe to have help from the little ones! Enjoy your weekend - it sounds like fun!

Angie said...

My sister in-law made these at Christmas time, they were very yummy! I ate more of my share!

Unknown said...

Yummy! This is one of my family's favorite snacks. It is SO addicting.
Have a great weekend!

Sherry said...

I love this stuff! you should link this to Kids in the Kitchen next Thursday, its a meme I started feature Kids cooking/making/baking in the kitchen!

Teresa said...

Yum. What a great thing to make with the kiddos. Thanks for the idea.

Kelli W said...

What a great helper! We LOVE that stuff too...it is definitely addicting! I haven't ever let my boys help with making it though...it always seemed to be SUPER messy to make just by myself!

Emily said...

What a great helper and that sure looks yummy! My kids love to cook things too. Bless her little heart with that black eye!

Rhonda said...

Hey girl! What great fun! I just found a meme yesterday about cooking with the kids on Thursdays! I'm starting next week. We will have to try this. It looks so good!

My boys love to help mom cook! Especially if it is a treat!

Candice @ Made With Love said...

What a great sous chef! :) Thanks for the recipe!

Smith Family said...

YUM! I think this would be a great prego mama snack =). I might be headed to the grocery store...right now.

Unknown said...

Sounds tasty! Cannot wait to tase them this weekend! Looking forward to seeing you in a couple hours.

Annie said...

I haven't had that for years! We call it puppy chow. :)

kayerj said...

yummy, great story, photo, activity and treats--all in one.

Here’s my photo story. happy Friday!

Tammy Williams said...

YUMMY! Can't wait to taste it. Please thank Mikayla for helping mommy make this beautiful treat for us:)

Miller Racing Family said...

This looks wonderful. I will have to try it with Trey. I hope you have a fun trip with the MOPS group.

Sarah Ondracek said...

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

Brooke said...

Looks like you had fun making it and it looks yummy! Have fun on your MOPS weekend.

I had a great MOPS group and when I had my first son, as soon as I had my twins the group ended. I found myself a new group this past year and now they ended too....I am off to search for another group...fingers crossed!

Xazmin said...

Oooh that looks delicious! We're getting ready to do some "treat making" for our family reunion this week!

Mama of Litlles said...

Found you and just had to follow! Cute blog!!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Great snack! And love the pics!

Jenny said...

This is my most favorite snack. In fact, I often eat it for dinner! LOL!

I don't use the butter though and it makes no difference.

 
blog template by yummylolly.com