Friday, August 15, 2008

always something on the "to do" list

Can anyone else relate that there is always that one thing on your "to do" list that always seems to be there? No matter if you rewrite your list, it's always there. Because you just rewrote it from the list you just had. Sometimes you add it to the top of your list, and sometimes you sneak it in the middle. But no matter what, you put it on the list because it needs to eventually get done. It's most often the last thing you want to do. Case in point: that's why it's always there.

Well, today, in my new found motivation (don't ask me where it came from), I conquered that one thing: cleaning the doors and baseboards in my house. To an untrained eye while visiting, you may not be able to notice, but for myself who that's all I notice as I walk into each room, it needed to happen. Trust me. Grimy two-year old hands + white trim = a need of a good scrubbing. After about 1 1/2 hours of scrubbing (yes, you read that right...no wonder I've kept it ON the list) and using the Magic Eraser (those things are a miracle!), I finally felt content. The pearly whites of the door frames, closet doors, baseboards, our fireplace, and anything else that I had touched suddenly looked crisp and clean. It felt good. It felt complete. And, do you know how much joy I am going to get from crossing that long overdue "to do" off my list. More than you can imagine because if you know me, I am a big fan of crossing things off the list.

And, tonight, as my husband walks into the house after a long day at work, I desperately hope the toys scattered on the floor, the magazines spewing out of the rack, and the pile of papers on the dining room table do not distract him from the sparkling whites of my one "to do" of the day.


And, in true Austin-boy fashion, while I was doing all of THAT, he was doing all of THIS...



Thanks, son, I was hoping to make a little bit more of a mess today.

1 comments:

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

What a dear, to accomodate you with more messes!!

I love crossing those big things off of the list. Yay for you!

 
blog template by yummylolly.com