Monday, December 8, 2008

muffin tin monday - the gingerbread baby

For this week's Muffin Tin Monday over at Her Cup Overfloweth, our theme was to do something that goes along with a Christmas story. I chose The Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett. This is actually a book we have around all year long, so Mikayla was familiar with its story. My last year of teaching I used this book for a writing lesson at Christmas time, so I was quite familiar with the story as well.

So, despite the busyness of the week in preparing to leave for California, I couldn't resist putting together a muffin tin so we could decorate gingerbread men (or babies). Plus, the kiddos deserved a little time with mommy (although I think Austin got the short end of the stick on this one).

~ our muffin tin ~
Top Row: coconut, red gel, black gel, mini M & M's
Middle Row: raisins, red hots, craisins

Bottom Row: green sugar, chocolate sprinkles, Christmas sprinkles, red sugar



Mikayla loves to bake...
she got a Christmas apron from Aunt Kristen
for an early Christmas present


hard at work...
if you look closely you'll notice some
evidence
of missing candy on this little girl's face
death by candy...poor little gingerbread baby
We indulged in our baking after dinner, but with one bite of the head and a mixed reaction on the face of a 2 1/2-year old, I was quickly handed back the cookie and was told, "I don't like it." Nice. Now we have about 14 gingerbread babies that have been rejected by their maker. Hopefully they won't take it personal.

Next week's theme: Christmas shapes. The possibilities are already brewing...

Why do I participate in Muffin Tin Monday? Because it gives me the opportunity to do something fun and different when day to day life can get mundane. Try it! Just for something that will "shake things up" a bit. That's why I love this blogging world...it encourages me to do some different things. To stay creative and continue having fun in a household full of "daily duties".

7 comments:

heidi said...

CUTE!! It looks like you guys had a blast!!

Be Brave, Keep Going said...

so clever! It's too bad mikayla didn't like the cookies!!

oh and i'm posting it over at Her Cup Overfloweth! Have a great time out here in CA

Sandy said...

I love that book! So cute:)

Smith Family said...

What fun! Do you remember doing an assignment based on the book "The Mitten" by Jan Brett in college together!?

Wonderful World of Crafts said...

Those cookies were really good though :) Unfortuanlly, Uncle Jody got the one that died by the red sprinkles. He said the middle wasn't very good.

Lyndsie Miles said...

I love making gingerbread cookies! Josh has been requesting it lately. I guess I need to jump on it!

' said...

I love this book - it was the first book my son read to me cover to cover.

 
blog template by yummylolly.com